The T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia has been a tournament of uncertainty. So far, this competition has given many incredible performances to cricket lovers all around the world. One of the main reasons that the ongoing tournament has been the best edition so far is the number of matches that turned into real upsets for big teams. The two-time champions, West Indies, were knocked out of the tournament in the first round after facing defeats at the hands of Ireland and Scotland.
But one thing that has become a major concern in the tournament is the unexpected Australian weather. Rain has already played spoiler in a few games. Three games have already been washed out in the competition, while a number of games have been interrupted due to rain, which hasn’t come good for a few games. The famous rain-hit game was between Ireland and England. It was the Irish team that won that game by 5 runs through the DLS method.
T20 World Cup: Here’s the rule if the semifinal or final game gets washed out
Talking about the competition so far, there are some rules if any game is rained out. However, during the group stage, in case of a no-result, both teams are given one point each. Just like we saw in some games. The games between Afghanistan vs Ireland and England vs Australia on October 28 were called off, and both opponents got one point each. But as we all know, the competition is entering its knockout stage, so the rules are a bit different.
There will be two semi-finals. The first semi-final will take place between New Zealand and Pakistan. It will be played on November 9 at the Sydney Cricket Ground. The second semi-final will start on November 10 at the Adelaide Oval. It will be played between table-topper England and India.
|New Zealand vs Pakistan
|Nov 09, Wed
|Sydney Cricket Ground
|England vs India
|Nov 10, Thu
|England vs Pakistan
|Nov 13, Sun
|Melbourne Cricket Ground
Playing Conditions in case of rain
- If the semi-final or final match of the competition gets rained out, there is a reserve day. The game will start from the same point on the reserve day where it ended.
- However, if it kept raining on reserve day as well and play couldn’t happen, then the team that ended their respective group will automatically qualify for the final on November 13. For example, if A1 plays B2 and the game gets washed out, A1 will qualify for final.
- In case of rain during the semifinals or final, a minimum of 10 overs should be bowled to get result.
- If it rains on both days (including the reserve day) of the final game, then both teams will share the title. Both teams will end up as joint winners of the T20 World Cup 2022.
- It has already happened once, in the Champions Trophy 2022. India played Sri Lanka in the final, and it rained continuously on both days. Thus, the ICC declared both teams joint winners of the competition.