The Indian Premier League has produced many memorable matches and incredible individual performances. And the thrill and excitement for this tournament only grow with each passing season. T20 cricket is already the most popular format among cricket fans. And when you bring the best players from across the world, it becomes even bigger.
That is why the IPL is arguably the best cricket league in the world right now. Because it brings the best T20 players to one place in a competition. But still, there are some rare moments that have been captured in IPL history. And in this article, we will cover the list of “super over” moments in the history of the cash-rich league.
What is “Super Over” and its rules?
A “super over” comes into play when a T20 cricket match ends in a tie when both teams end on the same score. Both teams get a chance to play one over each. The team that batted second in the game gets to bat first in the super over. Both teams can select three players to play the super over, but they only have two wickets to play with.
- Super Over should start within 10 minutes after the end of the game.
- Team batted second will bat first in the “super over.”
- Super Over will take place on the same pitch.
- Both on-field umpires will stand in the same place, where they were at the conclusion of the match.
- The bowling side can select which side they want to bowl from.
- The fielding restrictions will be the same as the last over of the match.
- Only three batters and one bowler from both teams are allowed to take part in the “super over” at once.
- There is no count of the “super over” to be played. It will happen until the result doesn’t come out.
- As per the new rule for the 2021 IPL season, the maximum duration to get a result from “super over” is 30 minutes from the conclusion of the game. The game referee will tell the teams about the last “super over.” In some rare cases, if by playing consecutive “super over” the result couldn’t be achieved, the game would end in a tie and both teams would share one point each.
IPL Super Over
The first “super over” bowled in the history of the IPL was in the 2009 season between the Kolkata Knight Riders and Rajasthan Royals. Both teams made 150 runs, but it was RR that won the “super over.” There have been a total of 14 instances of “super overs” in the history of the Indian Premier League so far. Delhi Capitals and Sunrisers Hyderabad both have played it four times, respectively. And DC has won it three out of four times, while SRH has won it only once.
The most “super over” took place in the 2020 season, when four matches ended in ties. However, the last game that ended in a “super over” was between SRH and DC in April 2021 in Chennai with a tied score of 159 runs. And it was DC that won the “super over” in the end. So below, let’s check the total “super over” instances.
List of Super Over in IPL
|1||25/04/2021||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Capitals||Chennai||159||DC||Prithvi Shaw|
|2||18/10/2020||Mumbai Indians vs Punjab Kings||Dubai||176||PBKS||KL Rahul|
|3||18/10/2020||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders||Abu Dhabi||163||KKR||Lockie Ferguson|
|4||29/09/2020||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Mumbai Indians||Dubai||201||RCB||AB de Villiers|
|5||20/09/2020||Delhi Capitals vs Punjab Kings||Dubai||157||DC||Marcus Stoinis|
|6||02/05/2019||Mumbai Indians vs Sunrisers Hyderabad||Mumbai||162||MI||Jasprit Bumrah|
|7||30/03/2019||Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders||Delhi||185||DC||Prithvi Shaw|
|8||29/04/2017||Gujarat Lions vs Mumbai Indians||Rajkot||153||MI||Krunal Pandya|
|9||21/04/2015||Punjab Kings vs Rajasthan Royals||Ahmedabad||191||PBKS||Shaun marsh|
|10||29/04/2014||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Abu Dhabi||152||RR||James Faulkner|
|11||07/04/2013||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore||Hyderabad||130||SRH||Hanuma Vihari|
|12||16/04/2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Delhi Capitals||Bangalore||152||RCB||Virat Kohli|
|13||21/03/2010||Chennai Super Kings vs Punjab Kings||Chennai||136||PBKS||Rusty Theron|
|14||23/04/2009||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Cape Town||150||RR||Yusuf Pathan|