Pakistan is one of the top-ranked sides in the shorter format. They have a better track record in T20Is as compared to other formats of the game. They played their first T20I match on August 28, 2006, against England at Bristol. The Men in Green made history when they reached the final of the inaugural T20 World Cup in South Africa in 2007. But they suffered a defeat in the final at the hands of archrival India.
But then, in 2009, Pakistan completed the unfinished business and went on to win the tournament under the leadership of Younis Khan. This team is the most unpredictable, which can beat any side on their day but has also suffered some unexpected defeats against teams weaker than them. Pakistan topped the T20I ranking for the first time on November 1, 2017. They also ended up as runners-up in the 2022 World Cup after losing the final to England.
T20 World Cup win: 2009
|1||Most runs in T20 for Pakistan|
|2||Highest Run Chase in T20 by Pakistan|
|3||Pakistan Highest Score in T20|
|4||Pakistan Lowest Score in T20|
|5||Highest Individual Score in T20 For Pakistan|
|6||Most Wickets in T20 For Pakistan|
|7||Pakistan Fastest 50 in T20|
Pakistan’s record in T20 internationals (Team Records)
- Pakistan holds the record for the second-biggest opening stand in the T20 World Cup. Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan made 152/0 for the first wicket against India in 2021 to win by 10 wickets.
- Shoaib Malik and Misbah-ul-Haq hold the record for the highest fifth-wicket stand in the T20 World Cup with 119* runs against Australia in 2007.
- Pakistan holds the record for the third-biggest T20I win by 155 runs against Hong Kong in the 2022 Asia Cup.
- Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam hold the record for the third-biggest opening stand of 203* runs, which they made against England in September 2022.
- The pair of Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan hold the record for the most runs as a T20I pair in history. These two have batted together in 56 innings and scored 2708 runs at an average of 50.14, with nine centuries and 11 fifty-run stands.
- The nine hundred opening stands between Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are also records in the shorter format. No other pair has recorded more centuries than these two.
Pakistan’s record in T20 internationals (Players Records)
- Babar Azam holds the record for the most consecutive games as T20I captain. He has led Pakistan in 55 matches in a row, which is the record.
- Shahid Afridi holds the record for the oldest captain to lead a side (test-playing nations). He led the ICC World XI against West Indies in May 2018 at the age of 38 years and 91 days.
- Mohammad Rizwan holds the record for the most T20I runs in a calendar year. He scored 1326 runs in 2021 in just 26 innings.
- Babar Azam holds the record for the second-most T20I runs in a single venue. He has scored 648 runs and needs another 102 to surpass Shakib Al Hasan, who holds this record. Babar has scored these runs at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore, in just 19 innings.
- Shoaib Malik holds the record for the joint-third-fastest fifty in the T20 World Cup off just 18 balls against Scotland in the 2021 edition.
- Babar Azam has scored 30 half-centuries in his T20I career, which is the second-most in the format.
- Rizwan and Babar are the joint-fastest batters to complete 2000 T20I runs. Both batters did it in the 52nd inning.
- Babar also holds the record for the joint-fastest 3000 T20I runs in 81 innings.
- Umar Gul holds the record for joint-second most (6) four-wicket hauls in the shorter format.
Pakistan T20I Records vs other Teams
The Men in Green hold the second-best winning percentage in the shorter format of the game. In fact, they have the most T20I wins under their belt, with a winning percentage of more than 62. Apart from India and England, they have better records against other teams in T20Is. Let’s check their track records against the test-playing nations.